Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Strage Story of my Call to St. Andrew's Church

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. My story of being called to St. Andrew’s is one of those times. In honor of Mother Gaye’s visit with us today, I want to tell you the story of how I came to be called to St. Andrew’s as your next rector.

Mother Gaye led a monthly meeting at Camp Weed of new clergy in the Diocese of Florida. I was a member for the first year and a half of my ordained ministry. Near the end of my time with the group, we held a conversation about what we envisioned as our next step in ministry. Mother Gaye facilitated this conversation and each person was given the opportunity to contribute their thoughts. I don’t remember too much about what was said, but I do remember what was not said, and that is where the story gets interesting.

A few weeks after the meeting, a friend of mine told me that Mother Gaye thought I was not interested in a position at a parish in the Diocese that was looking for a new rector. I said, “I never said that. I only said I wasn’t looking at this time.”

After a few days of thinking about this I decided to schedule a meeting with Mother Gaye to try and clarify the situation. We talked about my ideal parish. I told her, and that I thought in another year I would have finished my obligations at Church of Our Saviour, and would be ready to begin my search in earnest. She mentioned a few opportunities to think about, we shook hands and I started to leave her office. “What a minute,” she said. “Have you thought at all about St. Andrew’s?” “No,” I replied. “I thought that position had been filled long ago.” Mother Gaye said I should look at their web site, and if I was interested I should send her my resume as soon as possible.

That night I became a serious candidate to be your rector. As I looked at your website and read the information about your search process I knew that this was something special – something of God.

The rest of the story you know. The Childer’s visited me at Church of Our Saviour one Sunday; I had many interviews with your Search Committee, and soon thereafter I was called to be the fifth Rector of St. Andrew’s parish.

Maybe you had to be there in order for this story to be especially meaningful or unusual. But I thought you would like to hear how God works in our lives. Sometimes we are struck by the clarity of God’s call, and sometimes we are in awe of the subtly of His work. I am thankful that so many people were faithfully listening to His voice and carrying out the work He has for us.

Thank you, Mother Gaye, Dave and Carol Childers, Dallas, and the St. Andrew’s Search Committee. Without everyone’s faithful response to God’s call I would never have had the opportunity to write this to you – or to miss being with you this day.

Peace, Father Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment