Sunday, May 17, 2009

There is something in the air

There was something in the air last Sunday – Mother’s Day – that seemed very different: something special and unusual. There was a feel of community that I had not felt before – and that is saying a lot because this parish has a feel of community like few other churches I have ever seen.

A symptom of what I am describing was breakfast. As I entered the parish hall, one of the men said to me “We’ve run out of food.” “Of course,” I thought, “look at all the people!” John Fisher was so busy counting the crowd that I walked right past him without his noticing. “Sixty-five people!” John said, “sixty-five for breakfast might be a new record,” he added. Everywhere I looked there was lively conversation and joy. But what I was feeling wasn’t about numbers of people. It was something else.

Several parishioners stopped that day to talk to me about new callings they were hearing in their lives. Everyone seemed to have good news and positive attitudes. A few people – more than normal – wanted to schedule appointments to discuss spiritual matters. “What’s going on?” I thought. It was great!

As I have pondered these things in my heart this week, I have come to believe that this parish is in the process of receiving something for which we had not gone looking. We are receiving something we did not create, nor could we ever have earned. It is a gift and our name is on it. I think we are feeling the effects of being given the gift of ‘fruit-bearing’: making smart decisions and discerning actions which best serve the intentions of a loving God.

We feel the responsibilities associated with the gifts we receive – responsibilities that say, “not only are we to reach out with caring and thoughtfulness, but we are to bear fruit that will last.” What does that mean?

Obviously, some 'fruit' does not last. Short-sightedness, impulsiveness, raw ambition, and greed: the list is long and everyone can knowingly add to it by cultivating the fruits that rot rather than last.

But, bearing good fruit means making wise choices and good decisions for the work of God and His church. It means acting thoughtfully over a life time; discerning what thoughts, words, and deeds best serve the intentions of a loving God in this world. God has pruned our branches and we are producing. Welcome to the vineyard!

Father Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment