Sunday, July 5, 2009

Shouldn't We Be Strong for Christ?

“I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.”


When Jesus sent his Apostles out two by two, he made sure they went out in their weaknesses – with no provisions except a walking stick. As I think about the journey’s I made over the last two weeks, I am reminded how difficult it would be to travel without provisions. I certainly took all the stuff I thought I’d need. I traveled light, but with several changes of clothes, my cell phone, money, and my Bible.

But when we go into the world as representatives of Christ, we are called to go out in our weakness: for then we will be strong.

How can this be, we ask? Shouldn’t we be strong for Christ?

Our answer is this; when we act as representatives of Christ we are armed with the Grace of God and the power of Jesus Christ. We are armed with a sense of humility in our devotion to our Lord and Savior and we are equipped with the gift of God’s grace which covers all contingencies we might face.

As we go about living our lives of grace and peace in our neighborhoods and communities and workplaces, be bold in allowing the Love of God to show forth through the lives we live. As St. Francis of Assisi once said, “Preach the gospel at all times . . . when necessary, use words.”

It is not our words that bring people to Christ but our actions.


Peace,
Father Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment